Street Construction Closures
These events have received permits:
- Nov. 8 - Athens High Pep Rally on The Square for playoff game. Marion Street by the Courthouse will be blocked from 2-4 p.m.
- Nov. 16-18 - Christmas Open House in Downtown Athens. Marion Street between Washington and Market streets closed.
- Nov. 17 - Athens Bicentennial Bash on The Square along with Christmas Open House. Marion Street and possibly the intersections will be blocked all day.
- Nov. 17 - 7:45 to 9:45 a.m. - Cowart 5K race - From Cowart, down Bullington, east on W. Hobbs, north on Hine, east on Market, south on Marion, west on Washington, north on Bullington back to Cowart.
The City of Athens coordinates with the Alabama Department of Transportation on these projects, and the dates are subject to change
- Forrest Street bridges and resurfacing – Anticipate work to start January 2019 and take 13 to 14 months.
- Alabama 251 roundabout – Wait until Forrest St bridges done. (State project)
- Courthouse Square – Work underway. Finishing up some areas on the Courthouse side. Will stop and return after holiday shopping season once weather factors are permissible.
- U.S. 31/Pryor Street Sidewalk – In the design pha