Join Our Team
Are You Interested in a Law Enforcement Career?
Law enforcement is a dynamic profession where services are provided day and night, 365 days each year. Energetic, outgoing, and motivated individuals thrive in this field. Click here to download an application for employment.
Persons interested in becoming a police officer must be able to meet the following minimum application requirements:
- Be a resident in the State of Alabama,
- Possess a valid Alabama driver license and a good driving record,
- Pass a written test evaluating reading comprehension, spelling, punctuation, grammar, report writing, and math.
- Pass a physical fitness test, including:
- Run 1.5 miles in less than 15 minutes and 28 seconds,
- 22 push-ups in one minute,
- 25 sit-ups in one minute,
- Complete an obstacle course in 90 seconds. Elements of this course include:
- Push a full-sized car 15 feet,
- Run 50 yards,
- Climb over a 6-foot wood or chain-link fence (applicant’s choice),
- Run 50 yards,
- Step through a 2-foot x 2-foot window frame,
- Run 25 yards,
- Walk 15 feet across a 6-inch x 6-inch balance beam elevated one foot above the ground, and,
- Drag a 165 pound dummy 15 feet.
Academy & Field Training Program
New officers are required to graduate from a 13-week police academy and successfully complete a field training program. Recruits typically ride with a Field Training Officer (FTO) for 1-3 months while waiting for the next academy session. Candidates must graduate from the 13-week basic academy and successfully complete the field training program to continue employment with this department.
Northeast Alabama Police Academy
Police academy recruits must be able to complete the entire physical fitness test described above during the first week of the academy. Failure to complete any portion of the physical fitness test may result in dismissal from the academy. Athens Police Department typically sends new officers to the Northeast Alabama Police Academy in Anniston, Alabama. For information, visit the academy website.
Applications for police officer are accepted throughout the year, regardless of openings. For a current list of employment opportunities throughout the City of Athens and instructions regarding the application process, visit our Job Openings page.